Tuesday 9 December 2008

Is My Nalgene Bottle Killing Me?

I carry it around with me everywhere I go. I abuse it, throw it on the ground, and it still stays intact and awesome. It's my Nalgene bottle, and I love it. It's different than other Nalgene bottles, because it's a home made Dropkick Murphys bottle. It's transparent black (or maybe grey..), and where it used to say "Nalgene" is a large "Dropkick Murphys Irish Stout" sticker that I so cleverly added.

While it does nourish me with approximately 64 fl. oz daily, I've also been told that it could be a gateway for cancer-causing radicals in my body. I think it is, sadly, time to do some research and find out whether or not my beloved "stout" bottle is going to be the death of me.

I received it from Brant Matthews, who happened to have a bunch of them at his house that he didn't want. This seemed sort of shady to me, considering they had recently been recalled. However, Brant insisted that these were not the killer-bottles, and that they were totally safe. I decided ignorance is bliss and took the bottle. I have since been told that the bottles with the number 7 in a triangle are the ones that are unsafe. There is one on the bottom of mine. However, you can't believe everything you hear. So I ignore it.

Finally, I turn to Google.
One parenting website tells me:

Nalgene themselves tell me:
We are confident that the bottles which contain BPA are safe for their intended use. However, because of consumer requests for alternative materials, we have decided to transition our polycarbonate product line to Eastman Tritancopolyester.
and..
Agencies and researchers worldwide have studied the safety of BPA and polycarbonate for approximately 50 years; including The Environmental Protection Agency and The Food and Drug Administration in the USA, The European Commission Scientific Committee on Food, The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment and the Japan Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare. Findings of studies from these agencies indicate that food and beverage containers manufactured from polycarbonate do not pose a health risk to humans. Polycarbonate is used in a wide variety of consumer products including baby bottles, water bottles, dental sealants and the lining of most metal food and beverage containers and has been for over 45 years.
I know that millions of runners have practically been using Nalgene bottles since Phidippides ran the first 26 mile marathon to Athens. I also know that people, especially Americans, love to make gigantic deals out of nothing - especially if there is a potential lawsuit involved. For these reasons, I have decided to trust Nalgene and continue with the use of my kickass indestructible Dropkick Murphys Irish Stout water bottle.

No comments: